Thursday, March 17, 2005

Tales and Woes of a First Year Teacher Part III

Have you ever had one of those embarassing moments where you think, "Did I just do that?" Now what if you had a whole year of "Did I just do that moments..."strung out like a necklace happening one after another. You would begin to go a little loopy too, wouldn't you?

I know that many women lead stressful lives. many women have no opportunities for education, or have to deal with tryant husbands and a pack of needy children. Many women fight each day to be recognized as equals with men in the business world. Or even do all these things at the same time. I don't discount the Seventh Heaven/Sex in the City troubles they face. However, my story is different. I go into that war zone each day known as the public high school. Each day the war begins--will it be me, the first year teacher, or the 17 year old N'Sync wanna be's?

I always wanted to be the female version of Sidney Portier in "To Sir with Love" or maybe more like Michell Pfeiffer in "Dangerous Minds"...but I am a far cry from inspiring the youth of today to higher standards and strong characters. I consider it a successful day when I can actually get the maintenance man to empty the trash can before it overflows out into the hallway! If I can't even inspire integrity into the maintenance man where do I stand?

I guess I have started in the middle, however. Maybe that means this story will take on epic proportions...you know, starting in medias res?
Well, I just graduated college last year. I was very lucky to even find a job. Once again budget cuts in educations means less teachers and less employment. But I did find a place...as a English teacher (of course myd egree is in humanities, but that is a different story.) Being a teacher always seemed like such a romantic profression like in Bye Bye Birdie....and English teacher is really someone, oh why oh why can't you beocme one!!!!"......So I did.



This is the beginning of my story...the one I told you about a long time ago. I actually wrote it when I was a first year teacher. Although exagerrated in my story, that first year was tough, and I seriously...DAILY....considered going into another profession. I am glad I stuck it out.

No comments: