Monday, March 21, 2005

Mountains and Movies

mmmmm....i just love life. You know what I am in the mood for right now? A trip. But not just any trip. A trip in spring or early summer....June maybe...to somewhere that has the most beautiful scenery that I could imagine. Mountains maybe. Or someplace near the water. Perhaps the mountains near a large lake. There is nothing more beautiful than the quiet cool mornings in the mountains. Last summer we went to Red River, and I remember that I spent the mornings walking along the quiet paths, and sitting next to the stream that ran past our cabin. And dusk...when we would go out to the grassy patch and kick the soccer ball around....or lie about on the deck chairs, and just talk. Everything was so quiet...all day long. You felt like you finally had room to breathe. I think atmosphere is more important to me than almost anything. It has such an influence on my mood and emotions. The mountains remind me too of a vacation my family took with my grandparents. My grandpa was sick with cancer, and we all knew that he would not live much longer, and we went to the mountains....I remember talking to my brother about God by a little stream where we skipped rocks, and that it was hot during the day and very cool in the evenings. That trip is one of the last real memories I have of my grandfather...at least before he was bedridden. The air in Colorado was exhilirating, and the whole thing was almost euphoric. You just wanted to hit the pause button on life and make it last just a little bit longer.

I have been thinking that I am going to start a new regimen. I love movies, but there are so many that I still haven't seen. I think I am going to either once a week, or once every other week rent, or borrow a movie that I have never seen off of AFI's greatest movies lists. I have seen so many great movies, but I have some gaping holes in my repotoire. I am so excited because I love movies so much. It will be like when I was a kid, and my dad would just introduce me to some film that I never knew about, and all of a sudden love. Like a little gift dropped right into my lap. I see a lot of movies, but not very many of the great classics anymore. It will be one of those Barnes and Noble/Panera moments. Something for myself that maybe no one else would enjoy but me, but something that I can enjoy and do for myself.:)

No comments: