Tuesday, March 15, 2005

My type of people

I talked to a friend who invited me to lunch with 10 people I don't know. He says "they're cool people"...."they are OUR type of people, you know?"......and I was thinking....hmmmm....do you realize my friend that YOUR type of people and MY type of people aren't really the same thing? He and I have gone two different directions. And I realize that I was never a part of that group. Yes, I learned the lingo....i could talk about bow control, and flexible fingers, the technique of Midori, vs. Perlman....the style of transparent Mozart vs. moody, complex sounds of Beethoven....but to tell you the truth...that kind of talk bores me to tears. I feel good that I know it....feel good that I understand it....but to be immersed in it....no. I should have known even back in highschool....other kids are dying to be a part of elite orchestras, and dying to go see great players, and orchestras when they would come to town. Even my best friend who played the viola, but was way less involved in music than I was would get excited about great concerts. I didn't even know the names of important musicians when I was in highschool. I wanted to be good, but I almost think this was more of a competition thing than anything else (I can suprise you with my hidden competitive nature)....when I was a senior I had people pressing me to be a music major--double major in piano and violin--and really....i was getting full rides to colleges because of my violin...how could I give that up? How could/can I give up something that really was my whole life at the time...? So I solved that problem by being a triple major...drop the piano, and major in violin, German and English....and you wonder why I have gray hair at such a young age...anyway...i don't regret one moment of what I did. I gained lots of great friends, and I DO love the violin. I love to make it sing...and I suppose I love (too much) all the praise and accolades that come with it.....but I know now, that while music will ALWAYS hold an important place in my life (do I ever go a day w/o talking about it)...it is my hobby...not my obsession. And now that I have left that classical music life years ago....i am losing touch with the music community...the names are becoming foreign..the up and coming students...i don't know them. And even the knowledge I did have is slowly seeping out....my head is like a leaky bucket....losing what it has in order to gain new ideas....new experiences. Too many interesting things in this world...I tell you.
Can you guess what my obsession is? Take a guess.

No comments: