Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Tales and Woes part II

I went back to the library—I couldn't help myself. My fourty days were up—and really! I should be able to visit the library without feeling like I am a manipulator. I mean I would go there anyway, right? But I didn't feel comfortable. Oscillating between wanting to see him and avoiding him—I really am a nut case. I started moving down the isle like a black cat detective, or maybe a bad episode of Diagnosis Murder (oh..wait are there any GOOD episodes of Diagnosis Murder?)...I put my back to the book shelf, and leaned my eyes around it to check for the all clear before I actually placed my whole body in harm's way. Oh...good. He is not on this isle I would think. Then I would perused the rows of books with relative ease, but keeping alert glancing back and forth knowing each and every aspect of my surroundings. Then standing straight straight against the books aththe end of the isle I lean around the corner again. Good. No sign.I stand up straight again and prepare myself for the next step .I begin tohear Mission Impossible music in my head. I pull out my sunglasses as any true detective has and put them on. I leap out into danger—the most dangerous of all really—at least in the rows I have the cover of the bookshelves. Yes! I made it!
Suddenly I run into a nicely developed male chest. I look up. It's him.
“Oh,...hi.” He said He obviously recognized me.
“Hi. Um...How's the book world treating you these days” trying to act cool , I pull my sunglasses up in order to see him....WHAT A STUPID THING TO SAY... Note to me....I need to work at home on chit chat lines I can use in akward male/female situations.
“Um...pretty good” he said distractedly as he glanced down the isle I just came from. He looks at me again. Uh, is everything alright?
“What do you mean? “ I asked.
“Well, you just bolted out of that isle like you were being chased or something.”
“Oh. Um, well I would try to explain it to you , but I would just ramble on about it and it still wouldn't make any sense, so why don't I just take my books here and I'll catch you later. “ I started quickly towards the exit.
“Um, Calvino girl.” He started running after me. I couldn't believe it He was RUNNING after me. Maybe nutty girls are really what men want. He was going to try the whole coffee line again....I couldn't believe it. I held my breath. “Yes?” I said VERY cooly as I turned back to face him.
“Don't you need to check those books out?'
“Oh. My face fell flat. “yeah, right.”

No comments: