I guess I need to explain one of my posts. In "Alright then" I made a comment. It was "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." This is a quote by Thoreau. In fact one of the main purposes of that post was to be mainly quotes stuck together loosely by a few of my own words..had less to do with meaning, and more to do with my creation of meaning through the words of other people....When Thoreau says this...he perhaps mainly had men in mind, but I think he was referring to all of humanity. And definitely, I was referring to all of humanity. Anyone who thinks that post was directly pointed at men is mistaken. Secondly...perhaps I was confusing in putting the statement about being alone next to the desperation comment. However, desperation does not only have to be about finding "the true love of your life"...we constantly become desperate when we feel trapped....whatever that entrapment consists of. Feeling responsible for the people around us. A man can love his wife, and children dearly, and even love his life dearly, and yet feel desperate trapped in a job he doesn't like because he thinks he needs it to support his family. There are all kinds of desperation. And in that desperation we feel alone. Perhaps if we understood the universe (as I am sure some of you do) and God completely, we would never have these moments of desperation. Perhaps I should say that anyone who knows God never lives a life of desperation...maybe that would make you feel better, but I think a lot of life is about desperation. Even the man/woman who has it altogether is perhaps desperate to move on to the next step. To know, and be with God in his fullness. Didn't Paul say that he wanted to be with God, but had to stay on earth? Our whole life is about longing...Sehnsucht....and when that longing becomes so intense, it becomes desperation. i should also say that if you claim you are indifferent rather than desperate....I can respect desperation sometimes a lot more than indifference. Indifference is just a cover for desperation. It is a choice made to cope. The indifferent person is not happy. Otherwise he/she wouldn't be indifferent. If you are content, that is another thing...but indifferent? At least the desperate person knows that he needs something. Knows that either with himself, or with his situation there is something wrong. And his/her need...his/her willingness to lose all pretense, his/her willingness to show his/her weakness...is admirable. the indifferent person is not willing to give up his/her power. The indifferent person will never get what he/she wants because he/she is not even willing to look in his/her life to admit there is a need. OH....give me someone who is willing to feel, willing to express himself...(oh, excuse me...I need to say or herself to just to make it clear) and I would take that any day over a person who sits back and lets the world happen. Doesn't God even say that he will spit the lukewarm person out of his mouth?.... How will an indifferent person ever get what he/she wants if he/she just
just WAITS for opportunity to present itself? Waiting patiently can be a virtue, but waiting indifferently? I am not so sure.
Sorry, I had to rant. Just to be clear. I was not pitting men against women in that post. I was not saying anything at all of consequence. You must learn that I am just randomly dreaming. If you haven't learned yet....I am a dreamer. I weave tales, and I spin dreams. Half of what I say about my life in these posts might not even be true. It may just be complete crap made up to entertain you. I don't know really who is listening...who will be listening, and if you must know I am describing the timeless endless void if nothing else. Describing that phantom reader who sits quietly by. that one I don't even know about. That one who is intangible, and unsearchable... If you have a problem with my presumptions about you then just assume that I am not talking about you.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment