This is something that probably no one but me will find interesting, or somehow even mentionable, but I think Arkie quit his job yesterday. Arkie was the janitor who cleaned my room at school. It doesn't matter what time I get to school....6:45, 7:00, 7:15....about the time I show up, Arkie shows up. He spends about 10 or 15 minutes in my room each morning and we talk. Arkie tells me what helps him get through the day is my smile. He even says that he waits until I get there to clean my room so he can talk to me. He tells me about his wife, and her breast cancer. How she is different now that she has only one breast....she is ashamed. He tells me about the plastic surgery, she is having to have a fake boob....about the tatoo she is getting, so that the coloring is right.....he really loves his wife. He talks about his children. How his youngest son is starting to go through puberty and is feeling self concious about his body, and so they have started lifting weights together so his son can get in shape. He tells me about his family nights...going to the movies together. A couple of weeks ago he had a birthday that was announced in the bulletin, and I said Happy Birthday to him, and he said do you know you are the only person in this entire building who has said happy birthday to me. He is eager to get me anything I need for my room, and says that I am a delight to work for and will make an excellent wife....I am so encouraging, etc. Yesterday he walks in, and says, M'am...i am just telling you that this is the last straw. I might not see you again because I am probably quitting....and I wanted to say goodbye. .....I sometimes complain at least in my own mind that i have to take time out of my busy schedule to listen to Arkie talk....but this morning there was no Arkie, and it was quiet....
Last year, Billie was my janitor. Arkie and Billie both would come to my room and talk. Billie would bring me dolls he had won at those games where you grab something in a big vat....can't remember what they are called....anyway....sounds kind of creepy, but it was sweet....he brought me 3 or 4 of them....he used to say that I was the best teacher in the building. Funny how capable people sometimes will find you when you just give them a smile, and a little attention.
Billie had heart problems, and heart surgery. He left at the end of last year.
No more Billie, or Arkie.
Thursday, February 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment