I read this wonderful article in Vogue this morning about Jackie O. while she was editor to a woman in graduate school named Darcey Steinke who was writing her first novel. Not only did it represent Jackie O as the icon of class, and taste, but also said, 'occasionally, Jackie's more human side would manifest itself." At the beginning of their relationship she was very present. Always there for advice. Told her that Truman Capote used pink sheets of paper for his rewrites, and she should do the same. Add that little bit of extra to make you feel like you are doing something important or special...something to make you happy. As time went by she taught Darcy how to live by being absent. Darcy began to depend on her too much, and her focus was no longer on her book but rather on Jackie, and what she thought would impress Jackie. So she disappeared, and made their meetings more professional.
My thougts:
Whenever we try to be what another person wants we become something that no one wants. We lose our essence. Jackie O taught that to Darcy and it was a lesson she never forgot. But also, I should say....if you have ever "lost" yourself....then when you return you perhaps learn more about yourself than you could have otherwise. You become self aware. By knowing what you aren't you can begin to learn what you are. The person who never tries to be something they aren't (is there even such a person?) never has that encounter with themself--that crisis of identity. That moment of choice--am I going to live my life unhappily doing things that aren't me?--or am I going to seize those things which make me happy. And in those moments of misguided identity--you can finally look forward to who you are and who you will become
So.....
Who am I not?
a classical musician
a Ph.D. candidate
someone who understands football
a music teacher
organized
dog lover
chinese food eater
a meat lover
Who am I?
loves coffee
loves to laugh
loves to tease
loves to research
loves to write
fulbright scholar
3BA's and one MA
a teacher
a friend
a visual learner
a soccer player
Saturday, February 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment