Last night I watched the Manchurian Candidate. It was very good, but it didn't hold a candle to the older version. Usually I like new versions of movies just as well, or better than the old, but this version was too concerend about being weird, and it took some of the meat out of the story. They put so much technology into the story--so much gobbaldy-gook and it seemed like their main point was to confuse and disorient you. Not a totally wrong point, but much different point than the old one.
I think the old movie masterfully handled the suspense, and gave better insight into who the characters were--made you care more about what happened to them.
The one saving grace was Meryl Streep--she was delightfully wicked and perverse. Showing the word, "Mother" on the caller ID of Ray's cell phone harkened back to Psycho--really creepy. Streep may have even done a better job than Angela Lansbury, who was terrific. This new version had its moments and I did enjoy it, but my loyalty remains in the Queen of Hearts and Frank Sinatra.
Saturday, February 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment