Monday, April 11, 2005

Monday night again.

Monday evenings are becoming one of my favorite evenings of the week. It is almost a given that I won't have anything I have to do on this night. I can just take a hot bath, clean house, read, write, sit on my porch....all those solitary things that I enjoy doing. I love the evenings. After my fast paced day, I really enjoy the slowness of the evening. A time to revitalize, and refresh.

Today I was at German Competition. Took my kids on a bus, and we went up, up and away. Mary Poppins and her munchkins. :) The Fest was at OBU...where my dad works. So I spent a lot of the day with him. We talked a little about the past....when I was little my family did this thing we called "day off." It was usually on Labor day. Chris and my dad spent all day together, and me and my mom spent all day together. Chris and I each got to decide and plan out what we were going to do all day. We would start over a week before our day off planning all the things we wanted to do. I was much littler than Chris of course so I had really stupid things on my list. I was just four or five when I put going to the mall at 9am or something on my list...The mall wasn't even opened. But my mom took me there, and we walked around for a few minutes, and then left. We went to lunch together, did everything together and I got to decide every little thing. Then in the evening we would meet up all four of us together and see a movie that Chris and I had agreed upon. I would look forward to our day off all year long. I was so little when we did it that I don't remember much about what I did or saw, but I remember that it was one of the best days of the year for me when i was a little tyke. Once Chris got into his teens we quit. Lovely kid days.


mmmmmm.....I long for that stream. That summer stream. I will walk beside it. Oh, why is the stream so content. So steady. The stream knows the secret. She knows where it leads, and quietly entices me to follow. I am seduced by her knowledge, and follow...to find the answer. I walk. It is my journey. I walk by the water. I long for the water. Drink it in with my eyes. My eyes become so full that once brown, they are turning blue. The setting sun. The sky pink, red, orange, and blue...it is on fire....the sky is....and all at once I sit....still looking at the water...and realize sometimes the answer is not in walking to catch the stream, but rather in sitting still and watching its movement...as it climbs over a rock, and cascades down a branch. We can miss the movement and beauty of life if we don't slow down to watch it.

This evening wraps around me like a hot blanket. The candlelight gives me the sense of warmth....a sense of goodness. My new crystal necklace glints and sparkles in the flittering light. My four pairs of new shoes laugh at me in the corner....mocking me and my vanity. Ohhhhh, but they are cute(and on sale). I rub my brow, and try to release the tension that a day of stress has caused. I feel the tightness in my shoulders, neck and back, and long to be rich so that I can hire a masseuse. Yes. To feel the pain....to feel the pain....to feel the pain...be released. My aching bones, and muscles....finally get rest. I am sleepy. Sleepy. Sleepy. The sounds of melancholy music lull me to sleep. The peaceful sleep of a woman. A woman of contentment. A woman of purpose. peaceful, peaceful sleep.

No comments: