Sunday, April 24, 2005

Busy Lovely Weekend

Well....here it is Sunday night, and I can't believe that I am starting work again tomorrow. The weekend just flew by. I was so busy....but it was good busy. Friday night I played Moon River on the guitar for all my friends. Even though my voice cracked a little because I was nervous....people were nice enough to say they enjoyed it. And disappointed that I only played one song. Moon River is really great because there are some pretty fun chords in it. Chords that make me look snazzy.:) Saturday I had soccer, a wedding that I had to play, and then went to the arts festival to see grandpa griffith perform. Then on Sunday I went to the Flaming Lips documentary. Really good stuff....Tomorrow night I see Wilco! Yeah. Flaming Lips and Wilco in one weekend. It's almost as good as Memphis in May....well...okay not as good...but pretty good.

On Saturday Night at the Arts Festival I was so short that I couldn't see the band, and I was looking up at the building which had Glass in it, and I could see a reflection in the glass of one of the buildings from downtown. It was all lit up, and actually divided in half because of a cement strip between the glass panels. I don't know why I love buildings so much. There is something romantic about a tall building, or an interesting building at dusk....Maybe it reminds me of something like Batman....Gotham City. something lonely about a building at night. it has that quality of sehnsucht. melancholy. On top of that....it was the reflection of the building. What can make an already melancholy thing, more wistful? more full of longing? The reflection. It isn't even real. It is grasping for something that if or when you reach for it..it disappears. It is unfufilled desire at its most desperate. It was beautiful. Dark blue sky....grey building....and lights. Its Hopper all over the place.....the lonely city....man searching for his identity and finding nothing. Nothing but his own creation. As my friend Jenn always quotes "you do it to yourself"....it displays so much beauty because it is so sad. So sad, and so awesomely wonderful.

No comments: