Monday, April 04, 2005

Berkeley and Wonder Woman

So I was reading the letter to the editor in vogue, and she said that in Berkeley they are starting a new program with their elementary schools.  They are already trying to put organic foods on their lunch menus...but now the students are going to help grow the organic vegetables,  then they are going to be taught how to cook them, and then they are going to use the food in the cafeteria, and have units on nutrition, etc.  It will be part of the required curriculum.  It is in effort to have more education on eating right and then hopefully curve our national problem with obeseity.  Although this has serious complications to consider...money, time, etc...I think this is a great idea.  What better way to educate our fast food society than to get them back to the dirt, and teach them the wonders of really GOOD food.  And we often support what we ourselves create!  If the kids help make it happen they may be more excited about eating it.
 
My mom was sort of a hippie.  We did all of that stuff when we were little.  We grew our own vegetables. My brother and I picked peas, and corn, and tomatoes and all that.  Mom made our bread (this was before bread machines) and it was sooooooo good.  Hot fresh homeade bread, and butter that just melts itself on it.  mmmmmm.... she made our yogurt, she made our ketchup...she made our salsa, she made our jelly.  Garbage disposals weren't allowed in my house...we made compost (sp?) and would use it in the garden...
once a week for a while my brother and I were each in charge of one meal a week for the family (this was like when i was 7 and 8)...i would plan the whole menu, and then make it...with mom's help of course.  We RARELY, rarely, rarely ever, ate out anywhere.  It was a very special thing to get the 59 cent cheeseburgers from Burger King up the street.  We would sometimes get those on saturday afternoons....after we ate a burger (or two or three for my dad) we would wad up the wrappers, and it would begin war....the fight of the ages between my brother, dad, and I....using the wrappers as our missiles.  We would laugh and laugh, running around the whole house after each other.  And my mother would get so mad because she would find wrappers behind couches, and other places for weeks afterwards.:)
 
 
Also, by this time I was learning to sew my own clothes.  I was a big nerd who took tons of stuff to contest in the state fair each year.  I made chocolates (you know like filled with peanut butter filling and stuff like that) I took apple jelly...grape jelly...etc,  I won first prize for my Chocolate Goblin Cake...I won third for my white cake....I won second place for a crosstich i did from a scene of anne of green gables.....the list goes on...i was SUCH a nerd.:)  I learned to crochet a little bit....etc, etc., 
 
my mom used to make all of our halloween costumes.  This was really great because you could be anything!  you didn't have to go with what was available at the store or anything.  Although by the time i was in fifth grade or so, i didn't want her to make them...didn't want her to make my lunches...or my clothes....or anything..i wanted to be "cool" and buy stuff like everyone else.:)  But it WAS cool....my brother got to be a really cool astronaut, and captain Kirk.  My three favorite costumes were Princess Leia, Queen Esther, and Wonder Woman.  I was Wonder Woman when I was three, and that was my nickname around the house for years.  My grandmother brings it up even now.  My brother thought I WAS wonder woman....still thinks that I am capable of anything ....no wonder I FEEL like i have to be capable of everything.  But I will go with it....wonder woman....that's right...here she comes....:)

No comments: