You can either experience life or observe it. I wish I could find the place where C.S. Lewis talks about this.---It is so true. I used to have so many observations to post on this blog, didn't I? My voice could not be silenced. Every day, --many times a day I would have a little nugget or anecdote to share with you. Something which shares myself more with you. Most of my "experiences" were in reading, or activities that I created fro myself. movies, music, and reading. I would tell you about every little bit. However, I am stepping out of the role of observer and into the role of experiencer. It means that I get to feel, and to know, but I lose all ability to express those experiences to you--all desire to try. I think it is so interesting that we seem to be made this way. Those who express--talk about observed experience. Those who experience let others observe. Even those who try to explain what they have experienced themselves...it is an explanation which occurs aside from it. It is a past tense statement.
That is what is so interesting about dada, or automatic writing---trying to create something without preconceived thought or any relation to rational thought. Trying to finally bring experience and expression of experience together.
What is rational thought anyway but a system built up from experiences? The world has worked this way in the past and so it will in the future. We believe a chair is a place to sit and has four legs. Why do we believe this? Because our system has taught us to believe it. Rational thought is processing through certain filters which organize the information you see, or experience. Where do these filters come from? How do we know we can trust our rational thought? What happens when it fails us?
Saturday, May 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
are you sure we all have rational thought...i think i may have missed that gene somewhere....
Post a Comment