Thursday, June 09, 2005

More about me than Hornby

I finished AAB by Hornby yesterday. Overall, I thought it was an excellent book. It's impact was not underpinned by it's reputation, or for seeing the movie first. The book takes you more into the worlds of Ellie, that ruffian friend of Marcus', Marcus' dad, and Rachel, Will's girlfriend. The web of relationships that both Will and Marcus become intrenched in reminds me of my own life.

It seems that ever growing stream of connections continues. Sometimes people ask me how I know certain other people in my life, and I think do you REALLY want to know this story?--It's long and complicated I warn you. In college everyone I knew was basically involved in the same things, and in the same classes. Now the web is ever increasing and ever growing. Although this web creates more chaos, and more drama.....it is a nice feeling. My world of intimate relationships is expanding. Between chruch, soccer, my band, my quartet....bigger and bigger, and more involved in different ways...overlapping and continuing...less and less seperate. It can get messy...not only am I involved with them, but they are also involved with each other. Things get heated, and their problems with each other ripple out and become my problems too. Become a part of all of us. But it is okay. In fact , it is more than okay. It is good. this web I have created, or has been created around me....it is what some might call a family.

Marcus realizes this web is what the 21st century needs to survive. The nuclear family is breaking down--this is the family of the future. But it is really the family of the past too, isn't it?

If you think back not to far....in a galaxy (oh wait...wrong story)...you found extended familikes who lived near each other--grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and neighbors, who interacted in this same way. The community was a unit--with squabbles and drama, but at the end of the day, they knew they would still be together.

And think even further back, or maybe it is think now, and to the future....think of the church. What did God intend for the church to be, but a community--investing and giving in the lives of each other...joinged togetehr by common values and a common purpose. Yes, this idea has been around for a long time, and really only since the 20th century have we tried to change it.

Anyway, I agree with Marcus Intimacy with one person or with a mother, father, and children is important, if not most important in this web, but it is just a jumping off point to spin and span out to the rest of us. We NEED this. We NEED these relationships to help us and each other grow and develop as humans, and to shine out that image of God in us.

I have always wanted to be married. Thought I would be at a much younger age, but I realize now with not only my mind (my mind has known this) but also my heart that the Lord had it right. To be able to have my experiences in the world at large (Europe and Indiana) and now to be taken is as a part of this web, and be one who helps to creat it. Taking on that scary notion of colliding worlds--and seeing that *sometimes* when those worlds collide both you and I are changed for the better.

This web has led me on the path of learning about intimacy--learning to let people know me, and wanting to know them in return. Knowing that towards those I love, I might argue, yell, scream, pull hair, and complain, but at the end of the day--I still say I love you, and I do.
And to know that you, my dear web, feel the same.

Well, Panera is getting a little crowded. I may love intimacy, and knowing people, but I still have to get used to loving crowds. blah.
and so...........................I say adieu.

No comments: