I guess the biggest thing of the weekend was Saturday night. I went to play a wedding. I was truly thinking that hell had come early. I was sitting there playing Bjork, the Ramones, the cure....all of these rhythms that were being sight read....i was fitting in with the music....basically....but what was coming out was nothing like what I imagine the music is supposed to sound like. I was thinking this must be hell. We were outside. It was hot. People were griping at me. I just kept playing and playing and somehow all the time knowing it was crap, and yet continuing....eternally on.
Setting: A small backyard. A tent...underneath were beds, and lounge sofas, and pillows...all draped in luxurious satins, and silks...sensual reds, and yellows. It was the tent of a harem. Buddha was sitting on the guest table as we walked in. Blue goody sacks with sparklers were sitting at the end. Lights were strung all around the fences, and a white christmas tree with blue balls was near the front with wedding gifts stuffed underneath.
So we keep playing....attempting to play....Practicing.....we still don't know what we are playing, and when we are playing....we have no idea what is going on. A sweet T nightmare.
It was a very small wedding...maybe 50-75 people in attendance.
So this guy comes up to me. Looks slightly familiar. But I thought...hmmmm...looks like most middle aged hippies....that must be what is familiar about him...
He says, "Are you playing the Ramones?"
"Yes."
Are you playing all ramones tonight?"
Nope. Just different stuff.
Cool. So do you guys always play together.
No. I just know Jenn. (pointed to her). I have never played with the rest of these people.
Sometimes you can like those people more than those you know.
Yep. I like every single thing I know about these people.:) and we chuckled.
Well, you all sound great.
Thanks.
He leaves. Jenn leans over to me, and says, Do you know who that was!!!!!!
uh-uh. Wayne from the Flaming Lips! Wayne from the Flaming Lips!
Oh yeah! That's why he looks slightly familiar. I just saw his documentary on his band not too long ago.
Yes. And Starlight Mints are over there, and Steve Burns. All lounging about in the tent.
Famous People. Suddenly all tension was released. I got to go eat vegetarian indian food, smooze with famous people, and not so famous....watch the puppet kermit make an appearance during the ceremony while he sang Rainbow Connection, and these goofy rockers light sparklers in the dark, under the stars while this couple proclaimed their love to each other. Then we the quartet played in the dark, music we couldn't play, in the dark where we couldn't see, and everyone was okay. It was like a big party....with famous people....and I was there....looking and observing, and living life large.
i have an amazing life. I really do. Every day is a new adventure. Thanks be to God.
No comments:
Post a Comment