Thursday, June 02, 2005
Beach Boys
I have always loved the Beach Boys. It is a little secret of mine. My love actually began with the sounds of Jan and Dean..i knew all the words to the little old lady from pasadena by the time I was eight. I was fascinated by the story of Jan dying as he drove fast around dead man's curve. As I grew older, the Beach Boys took over because...well...they just had more music for one thing...and were a little more polished....i began to enjoy the pet sounds album, and learned about that visionary Brian Wilson. I even liked Wilson Phillips largely for their connection to beloved Brian. Whenever there were articles about the Beach Boys in the newspaper, i would cut them out and hang them up. I began to have a fascination for cars of the 50's and 60's. I would hang up pictures of 57 Chevy's and 65 Mustangs. I got books about old cars and would read about them. I was pretty good at recognizing them back then. I would say hey dad! Look at that 58 T-Bird...or whatever...I knew about GTO's Austin Healey's and MG Midgets because of my dad.... I think that I really believed my late teens would be full of fast cars, puppy love, and fun, fun, fun till daddy took the t-bird. At the time, I was a little disillusioned with the nerdy life I turned out to have. Sixteen Candles didn't mean much...still felt like a kid...not like my ultra-surfing heroine, gidget. However, I look back now, and realize...I did have some of those coveted memories of fun summers. I had a group a friends that I hung out with...yes I drove a 1977 Green Buick that was actually my moms, but we cruised around town in it. We danced to California Girls, and Wouldn't it Be Nice. We had pool parties. We went to the lake together. We had picnics, and played minature golf. We had water gun fights, and ice cream at midnight. I might not have felt like annette funicello in beach blanket bingo....but i was lucky to have that little group of nerdy boys, and girls to yell and scream with. To feel a part of something. Anyway, in highschool I had the unique opportunity of seeing the beach boys at two different times in concert. Both times my brother went with me. Even though my friends would dance and sing California Girls with me, they weren't dorky enough to go with me. But my brother who had very little interest at all would go with me, and even have a good time...or at least act like it. I haven't seen them in concert since. Although, anytime I hear Don't Worry Baby I express a little nostalgic sigh, and this time of year I ALWAYS pull out my BB CD's. Anyway,....about a week ago I had one of the best suprises you can imagine. You may or may not know that my birthday is on June 20th. That man who is so dear to me calls me up and tells me that he has tickets for June 17th--my birthday weekend--to see the BEACH BOYS!!!! and not only tickets, but he has VIP passes to go and meet them!!!!! My mouth dropped. It was a total suprise, and one that I would not even imagine that he would think of....to know how important it could be to me. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I absolutely can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment