Friday, October 28, 2005

When you become famous, don't forget .....

wrote this last Thursday, October 20th
So today I was on my way to the mall (big mistake--T at the mall on her day off= big spender, and T has no money after spending $'s on a wedding dress on monday)...and I was at a stoplight, and someone at the gas station in front of this intersection wanted in, and actually to cross all four lanes and get in the left turn lane. I look up and guess who it is....it is our former city mayor, a man who went to my church, and saw me grow up from a little toddler, to a beautiful young college woman. His son has the same birthday as me (only one year yonger) and we were in countless activities together....i received a graduation gift from his family, and I have swum in his back yard more times than I can count on my fingers. The last time I really saw him was at the capitol. This was about 2 years ago, and I played my violin for the mother of the year reception. His sister in law and someone i consider important in shaping both my brother's and my life growing up, won mother of the year in oklahoma. Now you might find it weird that she won mother of the year when her brother in law was the mayor of oklahoma city, and her other brother in law is that beloved sports animal announcer....but that is neither here nor there. When i saw the former mayor at this function, he told me thanks for playing and called me by a name (which is really mine) that he had never used before in his life for me. It was the name in the program.
so...back to today.....i let this man into traffic, and he clearly saw my face just as much as I saw his, but not even a moment of slight recognition appeared in his face. Maybe my face has matured, and changed (and become even more lovely, of course) since he knew me well. Or perhaps he has had do deal with so MANY people of oklahoma in the last few years, that they all melt together in a big puddle. I don't really care so much, but it is interesting to find how easily you can be forgotten. How short the human memory really is. How within the matter of about five years we can become anonymous and almost disappear to people who once seemed so much a part of the fabric of our lives....

No comments: