Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Now and Not Yet

It's the everyday stuff of life that is really important, don't you think?  We can try and define who we are as people by looking at those things that shaped us, and that can be a valuable tool, but who we really are, is what we do each day.  Whether my parents are ethical beings probably influences how I make decisions today, but if I cheat, then well, I cheat.
Last week we gave a retirement party for one of the women with the overall most integrity in this school.  She had to work for three more weeks this year because of some time she took off when she had a baby (over 20 years ago)...seems sort of ridiculous to make her come back.  Many of the teachers told her to use her sick days, and just not to come back.  Even said they would donate some of their sick days to her, but she said no, because I am not sick, and I can not call in and pretend to be so.  She doesn't say it with any sort of self-rightousness, but says it full of humility, and makes you long to be like her.  High standards, and full of grace.  Many of her students have come back to be teachers at this school, and at the party last week, everyone was telling stories, and give sentimental gush about how she influenced their lives.  I hear this kind of drivel at many retirement parties that I have been to in the last few years, but somehow the things said this time seemed real.  At the end, one teacher (that wilco loving, band loving fool here at my school) said..."I know this is taking a line from somewhere else, but 'O Captain, My Captain'" and he stood up on his chair, and saluted her.  Then several other teachers who loved her did the same.  It probably sounds very hokey as I put it here in words, but it was really very real to these people, and I wonder......
will I ever impact others in my life the way she has?  Will I make someone's life better because of the who I am?  Will people look at me, and say...there goes a woman of grace, humility, integrity, and kindness?  gentle as a dove, and fierce as a lion?  I feel I have a long way to go....but I have hope...hope that I can be transformed, and changed into that beautiful vision that God has for me. 
No longer what I am before, but not all that I will be...tomorrow.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

The "O Captain my captain" desk abuse thing must be a nod to the Dead Poet's Society. Very fitting.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I thought I would just leave this message on your blog. I hope you don't mind. I've been trying to find blogs about white t shirts. Anyhow, just hope it is ok to contribute this, before I go off to find some more white t shirts.