Just got back from our trip last night. We had a wonderful time except for the fact that I got sicker and sicker as Saturday went on, and today I am staying home from work trying to rest and get better.
I went to San Antonio for a AP Workshop on German, and Steve was able to get the time off from work to go with me. Basically, our free time (away from the workshop) was on Friday night, and Saturday after 1pm. We left yesterday at about 10am.
Friday night we went to Mi terra Cafe with all the other Spanish teachers from my school who also came for the conference. Then Steve and I walked downtown and viewed/walked a good portion of the riverwalk, or at least the part of the riverwalk that has restaurants, and attractions.
While I was at the conference on during the day on Friday, Steve spotted out some things he thought I would enjoy, and we did those on Saturday.
We went downtown for lunch and ate barbecue. The day was beautiful...like one of those days where you think spring is starting to arrive. After we walked around a bit downtown, and looked at a famous church there (that housed the remains of some alamo heros), we went to the King William district. This was a neighborhood that had lots of big fancy historic homes. a lot of which were built by german immigrants. really cool! We drove around the neighborhood for awile, and then got out and walked...went through the grounds of one of the homes you can tour, and reading about the homes.
After we did this we went back downtown and walked a lot more of the riverwalk that is quieter. We went by this one spot that was famous for "love"....has heartshaped flower arraignments, and all sorts of cheesy stuff...it has something to do with the catholic church and some saint or something, but I don't remember exactly what. They say that they average one wedding there a day. Then we took a boat ride around the river, and some guy told us a bunch of info about the area. It was pretty cool. Found out where they shot some of the movie of Miss Congeniality, and where Jennifer Lopez stood on a bridge in the movie about Selena.
then we went to dinner at an italian restaurant called Michelinos (something like that) ...had some linguine dijon past that I wasn't too impressed with ...
and then! the best part....it was getting dark now, and we went to the jazz cafe/club on the river. It is supposed to be world famous, but maybe that was an exaggeration...anyway...Steve bought us a bottle of champagne, and some assorted chocolates, and we sat at a little table out on the patio by the river, and listened to jazz music.....it was totally lovely. Really it was a wonderful day.
Sunday we walked again in the morning to take one last look around before we got on our plane. Then we came back home.
Monday, January 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment