Friday, January 05, 2007

A few thoughts by me....

My husband
Current mood: amused


The other night we were watching the Boise State/OU game. I said,"those guys are broncos and have orange and blue as their colors just like your Denver Broncos."

My husband looks at me if I am nuts and says, "Baby-- these broncos have a slightly different orange, and a slightly different blue for their colors."

Are you kidding me? How all of a sudden is he NOT colorblind like he claims to be when we go shopping? When he can't tell the difference between red, maroon, fuscia, and cranberry??????

All I got to say is --- Men.




Anne Lammott and Sex, Drugs, and you know the rest...


I read a little bit more, and must send out retraction. Not a complete retraction, but her description of baptism in the chapter entitled "sister" is absolutely beautiful. Her prose is still a little too self aware, but sometimes she can create an exquisite spiritual image.

Now...off my diatribe, and on to Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs....while listening to Coldplay, which is scorned in the very first chapter.....


Anne Lammott
Current mood: contemplative


I have been reading Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies lately. I had heard raving reviews of it and came across the book at Barnes and Noble while in Colorado. I should never read something which everyone is talking about--as soon as I do I seem to put on my "hyper-critical" hat. I seem to be on a mission to prove them wrong. This might be the case with my perspective on Anne Lammott; maybe at another time or place I would think she is a genius. But this week--I didn't prefer Anne Lamott.

I thought the beginning read a little like a Salinger novel. -a femal Catcher in the Rye. I did like Catcher in the Rye--but writing about Holden Caufield in 1951 was genius...in 1999? already done.

I was also reminded a little of St. Augustine's Confessions--the journey of finding truth and the spiritual journey that leads to Christ--but in the Cofessions you have symbolism, structure--literature, with a capital L.

Perhaps it is a credcit to Lamott that I refer to these great writers. I most certainly would not even make these kinds of comparisons with most christian inspirtational writers today--most pop theolit as I call it. I don't know that anyone except perhaps Bennan Manning could bring me to this kind of a comparison, but as I continued through I thought the book was more fitting for the oprah Book of the month more than anything that is truley consequental

The book works too hard at trying to make a point. Too hard at making spiritual and emotional breakthroughs. It becomes almost melodramatic Chicken Soup for the Soul...like a teacher high on Great Expectations(teaching method)--at some point it is too much sugar-- too cutesy. Perhaps in small doses it could be enjoyed more thoroughly.

I am certainly not saying I can do better or even would write differently. I too, write out the small details of my life, claiming it has some kind of importance just by the retelling of it, and try to tie it up in a nice neat little package with a moral to live by to boot...

if I do anything its this--so now should I look at the log in Anne's eye while the plank remains in mine?

No comments: