Yesterday was quite a day. First, in the morning I burnt my knuckle on the iron. An unpleasant, but slightly frequent occurence. Nothing to signal the singularness of my coming day. I had been sick with a stomach virus the night before, and was still have slight pains, but I knew I had to go to school because after all--it was mix it up choctaw day! and I was the total and complete instigator of this event--of course the world could not live or function without me, so I had to go.
So I was getting ready for my first class, and decided that I wanted to use the overhead projector. I put the plug into the socket and pulled the projector back. Well HALF of the plug pulled out of the wall. What I saw then was two prongs sticking out of the wall. (two still going into the wall, and two sticking out from it. Gingerly, I tried to remove the plug....but not carefully enough of course, and I touched the prongs. shock waves went through my body, and I jumped back. It was a jolt, and two of my fingers felt numb. I called Steve and he asked if I was okay, and then laughed of course. It made for a good story for the rest of the day, and a long about the end of the day my fingers almost began to feel completely normal.
So...the stomp team performed, and the drama group did Whose Line Is it anyway, and everyone had fun and thought it was a good thing. I have student leaders going into over 24 classes here teaching about how we group ourselves in highschools (preps, emos, band geeks, etc) and how to create understanding between those groups. I had one teacher write the following about yesterday
"one of the kids in Multi-Cultural Club wanted to know if we were going to do it (lunch activities) on a regular basis because it was the first time he saw kids of all cultures really working together and having fun"
I guess you have to do something when the survey we sent out said that 83% of students say our highschool is an unwelcoming place to be....
So I get to my last hour finally, and show that lovely german heartwarming children's story of two children who blow up their teacher, and other pranks, and finally get baked alive, and survive that to be put into the mill, and chopped into millions of pieces to meet their grusome end by ducks eating their tiny pieces. And of course...this is what happens to little boys who pull pranks. My kids think I am so morbid and weird because I just can't help but laugh....it is just so over the top. The kids can't understand hardly a word, but they still get the main gist of it and love it. It is a famous German story written oh...i don't know.....in the time of yore.
Okay...so then...I have already been having trouble with mice again. Already!!!! Steve set some traps, and one has met a grisly death...but well, I never had mice back when I had cats, and I love the cats.....so.....one of the few impulsive decisions I have made in my life. I got Layla last night. She is a beautiful little tabby, and I am already falling in love with her. Brock, steve's dog, was at my house, and that was my main concern....whether she could handle Brock. And so far they are doing well together. I think they might get along eventually. Layla doesn't back down from him, and hasn't hissed (too much) at him. She seems very sweet. She followed me around a bit as I got ready this morning.
Steve doesn't really like cats. He grew up with cats, and once had as many as 30 cats living at his house. yuck, huh!? But he got her as a present for me, and hopefully we can become one big happy family. :)
So here goes today.....next up...who knows?
No comments:
Post a Comment