a lot this summer. Since I have been back from Germany I have done nothing else practically. I just finished Gilead. I really enjoyed it, and think my husband would enjoy it even more than I...if he just had the time. He is stuck in the middle of Jane Austen's Emma right now...and that is only the tip of the iceberg. If I could write a book I would want it to be similar to this book, Gilead. Something sort of gentle, and meaningful. Something that is able to express some truth about the beauty of this world, and also God himself.
This of course is totally different than the one stab I took at writing something longer than a blog....the one thing I tried to write was something more like Bridget Jones Diary....there was truth in it.albeit exaggerated truth..truth in my own experiences as a teacher, and single woman. I never carried it to its completion, but I think there were moments in it that were quite amusing, and valuable.
Besides Gilead I have read, Mansfield Park, two books by Kai Meyer, one German young adult story by Claudia Friesler (this one was in the german language...kai meyer is also german, but I read his books in translation) Flight by Sherman Alexie, part of the Year of Living Biblically, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and maybe one or two others that escape my memory at the moment. These are mostly young adult stories, and so they read quickly....I really do love reading.
Perhaps one day I will master that special turn of phrase which will throw me into the likes of that honored group that we call authors. What a wonderful day that would be. I probably really could do it. I think I could.....that is if I ever knew what to write about.
Saturday, July 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment