Tuesday, July 22, 2008

cyber/real.......i am starting to lose my grip!!!!:)


So....you know how you perhaps participate in those online communities like MySpace and Facebook, and how sometimes they suggest you might know someone else online because of all your connections between your friends, and theirs.....and sometimes you look at them and say...HEY! I know old so and so and you make them your friend, and then other times you are like....who in the heck is that???....but then they show up so often as a suggestion that you begin to recognize their face. You may even go to their page if it hasn't been made private, and try to investigate the connection that allows so many of your friends to know this person, and you not to know them. This is something that perhaps takes place in the privacy of your own quiet world and know one knows it is happening....and then all of a sudden! CLASH OF WORLDS.....you go to...let's say a coffee shop....and guess who walks in, but a face you recognize. You think...hmmmm...where have I seen this person before? You seem to know them, and yet it is all vague and blurry. Then it dawns on you. This is the guy that has been imposed upon me by the forces that be called facebook. You absolutely do NOT know this guy, and yet....somehow you kind of do. You wonder if you should step in and say..hey, you don't know me, but I know you, and I know who all your friends are, and I know where you work, .....and then you realize you sound a little creepy, and stalkerish when nothing like this had ever crossed your mind.
So instead...you do become a stalker because all of a sudden this vague knowledge that you have of this person has made them incredibly interesting, and then...they sit down at the table next to you, and they have a friend with them. You are eavesdropping on their conversation and can hardly help yourself. Who is this person who could be my friend if not for a degree or two of separation?
And how does this information help me to understand the oddity of the real and not so real worlds that I live in? A case for the modern/postmodern, and even beyond postmodern (whatever that is) age..........

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I like to hit my refresh button a few times (okay 10) before logging out Facebook just to see who it suggests. I can't wait until it writes my grocery list for my, and hunts down coupon links.

Anonymous said...

Rather cool site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some pics :).