Yes. I have become a devoted fan. I watched the pilot series a few weeks ago. Saturday I was loaned all of season 1 (20 something episodes) and all of season 2 that is out on DVD (another 12 episodes). There is the second half of season 2 that has been on TV, but not on DVD. Anyway, I watched all of the DVD's I have between last saturday and last night. something like 36 episodes...!!!! something like 36 hours of BSG. I am in total cylon mindset. Everything I see around me these days I relate to BSG. I grew up with my brother watching the old series. I remember I liked the characters...bored by the action.
They have turned the new BSG into a complicated postmodern version which constantly keeps you on your toes, and never sure of "good or evil"....it in fact exists in both allies and enemies. Needless to say....they have a new member of their fan club.
Boy! My fiance is turning me into such a nerd.:) That's alright though. I really was already. I had already been reading science fiction stories for years, and watching some, and I become fascinated with the issues of morality vs. technology, and how to we deal with our own nature in a modern world. What is real, and what is illusion? Time honored themes in a fresh way. After all, sci-fi is probably the only new genre created in the last century (thinking of anime(sp?) and graphic comics as a spin off)....the last genre to be created like this was probably the detective story in the 19th century...and even with this, I think sci-fi has blown away the detective novel in terms of progress, growth, and being able to display universal themes and questions in the context of something new and fresh.
Friday, March 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like the new BSG, too. I do have one complaint: the aspects of being in space and seeking Earth seem too downplayed.
Post a Comment