Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Reading Mike's blog made me think of some of the road trips, or more importantly "alone" trips that I made during my wandering years. I used to do almost everything alone...for 3 and 1/2 years. Although I don't necessarily recommend it for anybody, I did learn a lot during those years. The first year of my hermitude was in Germany. I think there were days that went by without me actually saying a word to anyone--either friend, or stranger. There were other days where I would talk to no one except to say "cheeseburger", or thank you to the stranger that served me. Most of this time when I was THIS alone was spent in England. Because even though I was constantly and consistently alone....I was seeing some of the most beautiful places in the world.

To tell you the truth, 85% of the time I reveled in being alone (15% of the time I would think about how I would love to share all of these great things with the people I loved)...but I was on my own time table. I just came and went as I pleased. I walked miles and miles of the streets of London. Spent time in Notting Hill. Saw the great parks, ....for me...even though I like museums, the real fascination for me when visiting a new place, and a great place is to walk it. Especially in Europe that can be done pretty easily usually. I will tell you that Paris, and most certainly London--walking through it can be quite a feat--at some point you MUST use the subways....but to be able to walk the streets...to know where you came from and how you got there, and to see the way the city is laid out. I just love that. I went on the Tower of London tour, and saw London Bridge, and Big Ben. I saw the Changing of the Guard...I saw all the trendy stuff. I saw a show--Les Miserable.
But I do have to say..that my day trips away from London were my most enjoyable days. Plato was my constant companion in those days. The only kind of books in Germany that I could find in English were usually classics--and I was sucking them up and in like water on a hot day. I was a complete sponge soaking in everything I was reading and seeing. I remember one day that I was sitting on a bench in a park reading Plato when two bums walk up to me and sit down next to me, and one of them says, "What are you reading, my love?"--with a totally slick and accomplished Bristish accent- and I said Plato, and showed him the book, and he said...Ah, Plato." As if he was recalling some day when he too studied Plato. I was thinking maybe it is the British accent, but England must have some of the classiest bums in the world! --but still the woman alone scenario (when not a soul in the world really has any idea where you are) doesn't really condone entertaining possibly hazardous bums....so I told them I had to go...and vanished.

But...i was going to tell you about my day trips to Oxford, Cambridge and Cantebury. And I haven't even begun on my trip to the south of England, and to Thomas Hardy, and Jane Austen land...or told you about the hours and hours I used to practice my violin while alone--or how much I used to write--both letters, and fiction. Neither have I told you about my trips to France, Poland, Italy, and all over Germany, and I haven't even slightly begun on Indiana....well...perhaps one day I will.

Until then, remember...you are all my dearest of dear "shnukiputzis"

(cutie-pies)
love................................,
me

1 comment:

Mike said...

You can say want you want about Europe and your travels, but I'll be damned if I will allow you to call me a "Shnukiputzi."

Seriously, I want to read more about your travels. You are a woman of the world.