Saturday, February 12, 2011

Quote from Envy by Anna Godbersen

A young woman, newly wed, may find herself in the delightful position of wanting to do nothing without the company of her darling husband. She may indeed discover that she spends all her waking hours with her fellow to the exclusion of every other friend or family member. This is understandable but wholly unacceptable, to society.

--Mrs. Hamilton W. Breedfelt, Collected Columns on Raising Young Ladies of Character, 1899



Is this not still considered unacceptable if not actually weird in our society? A man and woman who spend so much time together that they actually begin to have no friends? They are spurned from society. Actually society feels that the couple has spurned them rather than the other way around.



Society must have its "girl nights" and its "poker nights", and other activities with the underlying purpose of seperating spouses from each other. If a man and a woman enjoy spending time together to the exclusion of all else it is seen as akward, strange, and unsual.



i understand that the concept of society means interacting with more than one person. A society is made up of many different components and to be a part of it, you must interact with it on several different levels.



I understand that one can need some time a part from the person they live with. With the recent blizzard it was made clear that sometimes there can be perhaps too much together time.



My husband and I are strange. We like to be together. We like to be together nearly all the time. We like a lot of the same activities, and we like a lot of the same topics of discussion. We like the same music, and mostly the same movies. We look forward to the idea that we might work together some day at the same school.



I am not saying that we want to be together 24/7, but even just an hour or two away from each other and we can be ready to hang out, and chill with only each other again. And if I have missed him all day at work, it is sometimes hard for me to want to go out and leave him again in the evening for some other activity. Co-dependence? I don't know....maybe?



Yeah, okay, so maybe society may not like us too much. Sure, our whole little system may be a little too insulated. I am okay with that. Society has been one of my arch enemies for a long time now. It might be a pretty good time to piss her off again. I am in the mood for a fight.:)

Here is Sweet T signing off.
p.s. I am not saying I don't like girl nights. I LOVE girl nights. I just miss my husband when I go to them....and well, let's face it.....I am a bit of a hermit. I can enjoy a quilt and a good book and a glass of wine a little too much sometimes...or perhaps a nice guilty pleasure like Veronica Mars, or Bones......

No comments: