This summer I decided to choose some books based on what I saw in Europe. You are probably saying....what? you are going to tell us what you are reading during this really boring month of your summer vacation when you went to Europe for two weeks and haven't told us a thing? Sweet T!!!!! Why do you decide to bore us with these mundane details when actually your life is pretty exciting. Well, I guess I actually have time to write to you during these boring times, and this is what is on my mind right now.
I read Heidi by Johanna Spyri. I have not read this book since I was about 9 or 10, and I, of course, loved it. One of the main characters in this book turns out to be the Swiss Alps. We saw a lot of the Alps this summer...from Germany, to Austria, to Italy and Switzerland. I wanted to read this book with the backdrop I had from my trip in my mind.
The next book I read was Water Mirror by Kai Meyer. He is a German author, but the Dark Reflections series takes place in Venice. I read this book a couple of years ago, but wanted to read it again with the images I had recently experienced. How surprised I was to see the island of Murano, and the glassblowers figured somewhat prominently in the book....We had the chance to go to this island while we were there and see the glass blowers..... and of course see the Doge's palace, the bridge of sighs, and many other things that I just skipped over in the book the first time.
I also read Italo Calvino's book "Hermit in Paris" this is a collection of essays, letters, journals, and interviews that Calvino wrote. Not quite what I expected....a large part of it is about his trip to the United States, but the actual essay on Paris was incredibly interesting, and the ideas on traveling, new experiences, and politics of an Italian man who had communist ideals, and grew up in fascist Italy was pretty fascinating.
I am now diving into Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have never read it, but am already finding the back drop of Paris intriguing ......
Perhaps this did give you a smattering of travel info........This idea of choosing my reading by city, or backdrop is fascinating to me right now. Reminds me of the beat writers, and when I was immersing myself in Kerouac, and Ginsberg...
Couple of weeks till I go back to the dreary days of work..hopefully I don't disappear completely this year...although I am busier than ever....starting a new graduate degree, and buying a house.....well.......Ciao! Hope to see you soon....
1 comment:
all these are pictures from you trip?? nice!! good post! you told us a little about your trip in a new way! :)
Post a Comment