Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

I was very young when I first saw this film with Greer Garson, and this morning I recall it fondly as I see it once again on AMC. I don't have much to say about it, except that its a very good movie, and it reminds me of those days when I would have family nights on Saturday night, and buy pizza, and RENT a VCR, and a movie. I so loved those nights. My love of film, ..my love of "story", all of this was developed during those years. I can feel this passion about a movie as well as a book. Maybe it is a sense of escape. Maybe even in those ackward preteen years it was a means of escape. But I know from the age of about 8-16 you would find me most likely doing one of three things...well, one of four things, in my free time.
1. watching old movies
2. reading anything I could get my hands on
3. writing (yes at one time I had 16 pen pals...besides the short stories, etc that I would write
4. playing piano and violin

It was a pretty solitary life in a lot of ways. I had plenty of friends. I could deal fairly well with social situations. When I got in trouble at school it was always for talking...talking to much. Chattering on to those around me. That may suprise some of you. I would chatter on at home. Chatter at the dinner table telling everyone what "Susie and John did that day"....I longed desperately for Guess overalls, and the latest Liz Claiborne purse. I wanted just the right watch (rather gold--classy and delicate....even at 14.)

But...a lot of my time was spent inward. My imagination was vivid, and I could be just as happy by myself as with other people. I think a lot of these activities have probably made me the delightful nerd that I am today.

I guess even today that I am not too different from that little pleasantly plump pre-teen of yesteryear. So...I will leave you today in order to catch the gentle, and charming story of Mrs. Muir.

No comments: