Monday, January 31, 2005

Tales, and woes of a first year teacher

Awhile back i started a story. Maybe I am turning into Christian Slater in Pump up the Volume....but here is my ficiton. Yes, it is about a single teacher (go figure...where did I get that) and her trials during the day and at night. It is in journal format....again go figure...and remember is TOTALLY fiction....well...what is fiction though but hidden truth...

March 5th--
I have decided to give up dating for lent. I don't know whether this would be sanctioned by the church (aren't you supposed to give up smoking, or caffine or sex or something?) Anyway, for the next forty days, I will refrain from blind dates, first dates, and any other single event constructed for the purpose of bringing males and females together. I will instead concentrate on how to make myself a better person. Complete without any man.

March 8th--
The moment one decides to give something up is th emoment that oppourtunity shines its face upon you. I was just asked out by a totally cute librarian guy. It went something like this.
'Oh, so you like Calvino?” I looked up to see a brown haried Adonis grinning at me.
“Oh yes. I really like If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, but I haven't really read any of his other stuff.”
“you should try reading Baron in the Trees. And you would probably like Umberto Eco too, if you like Calvino. Here let me show you where you can find it.”
“Wow, thanks.” I was wondering what I would read after this.” He sauntered over to the fiction section. As he handed me a book he said, “you know, Calvino sounds best when he is read out loud. Maybe we could get together for coffee sometime and have a Calvino fest.”
“That would be great.” I looked into his eyes and smiled goofily for a moment. Then I remembered my decision and my smile disappeared. “oh wait...well see....lent started yesterday, and well...I am not a terribly religious person....well, I am sort of religious, but not really you know formally so like Catholics, or Lutherans, and all those people who usually observe lent, but I do go to church on Sundays, um you know at a protestant church...the kind that does communion once a month or whatever. I mean they don't have anything against dancing...”
um...what?” He seemed a little annoyed. “What does that have to do with coffee and Calvino?...”ohhhhhh.....did you give up coffee for lent?”
“um , well, no not exactly. By this point I was digging a hole in the carpet with the toe of my shoe and starring down at the same spot where I was trying to use my heat vision to create an even bigger hole hoping the floor would cave in. (or at least wishing I had superhuman powers in order to create a means of escape, or at least a diversion). “um, you see, I am concentrating on improving who I am. One goes on so many dates and it seems to go nowhere, and so you think maybe you should take a step back and take inventory .....and so I thought I should make a few
resolutions...and well...” I chuckled slightly... “I gave up dating for lent . But hey, maybe we could do something in forty days or so...” I rambled on like an idiot.
Now he took a step back. “Um, yeah sure. Why don't you give me your phone number and maybe I will call you.”
I am positive that he is not going to call.

No comments: