Sunday, May 08, 2011

akward sweet t

so.....i told the kids to write a letter to a teacher for teacher appreciation week. I told them not to write to me unless they just couldn't think of anyone else because it would be weird for me to require them to write a note, and ask for a bunch of compliments for myself..... so one kid writes me one. He says, "What I love about you most is your awkwardness"........hmmmm....he kept writing, and really did seem to love the fact that I guess I am more funny that graceful.....
So....in my next class which is mostly seniors who have had my class for 3 years, and we have a mutual love and respect for each other I told them what the student said, and this girl immediately yells out...I LOVE that about you too!....and another kid said, yeah, kluge, you are pretty awkward....
so during this same class period we were in the media center making bratwurst lunches for the teachers. A couple of kids went to see if a teacher wanted a dinner, and they came back and said this particularly stylish, graceful, skinny, beautiful teacher wanted a plate. And I said, "that surprises me." and this kid said, "what does that mean?" and I said, "I never pictured her as a sausage eater." Immediately when I said it, I knew it was wrong. The kids busted out laughing, and I was like...oops that came out wrong. And one of the kids said, "see kluge....awkward. :) Okay......guess I am guilty as charged.
At least they find it charming rather than repulsive. They also mean I am clumsy....but yeah....i am a little bit. The German word for this is awful. It is the opposite of chic. ungeschickt.....oh well. Again....at least people find it charming.:)
Have an awesomely awkward day!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

this just reminded me of our trip to memphis in may. when we passed by the exit you take for work, you said "this is where i get off everyday" SO FUNNY!

jenn said...

hehe! :) love both of these stories! :)