Monday, February 26, 2007

Bonhoeffer
I am reading a book right now called, "Life in Community" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I have only been through the first chapter so far, but I really like it. Bonhoeffer, as you probably know, was a German minister during the reign of Hitler. He ended up imprisoned, and finally killed because of his beliefs, and trying to live out those beliefs...which went contrary to the desires of the Nazis.
Anyway, I am struck in the first chapter about how we should be grateful if we get to meet openly with other christians....something that I know that I myself take for granted. The fact that on sunday mornings (or whenever) we are able to come together, and praise God is in fact a priviledge. Perhaps this seems a sort of mundane idea to you, or doesn't hit you as strongly as it did me.....but sometimes i start seeing so much of what is going on or not going on that I forget the big picture. Take for granted what I actually have.
He also says that we don't choose our brothers and sisters in christ. But by the fact that someone does claim Christ, then I am committed to you as a part of the family of God. What you do or don't do as a member of that community is a moot point. I must have faith in this community that God is putting together. I must trust (and this part is my addition, not Bonhoeffer) that God promises that his Kingdom will be realized, and therefore I can only strive to reflect Christ, and leave the rest to him.
It is very interesting that I started reading this book THIS week. I won't explain all the details, but I am considering some of the thoughts, and wrapping my brain around it. Most of it isn't something new, but it is well written. A persuasive writer is a balm to the soul if it is true, and a poison to the root if it is false. One must tread carefully when reading.:)
The second chapter that I have just started is interesting too. It seems that we can understand the past so much better, and have so much more compassion, if we understand the meaning. It goes into why the "morning" is so important as a time to have community. I am not going to suggest, as bonhoeffer does, that this is the only, or most important time.....but it really got me excited about the idea of it when he begins to discuss the resurrection, and how Jesus was discovered arisen in the morning, and how the morning represents the new day, ...he gives us new mercies each morning, and all of that jazz....each morning we are ressurected and all can begin anew. Each time we meet with community,God extends that grace to us, and we can begin anew. This is a thought of hope....
more later....i have some thoughts on the first and second adam, on the fall of creation, and the crucifixion of christ...IF (and this is a big if) we are a part of those events.(meaning we would have acted the same, and would have been as blind as those in history)...these grand scale events which effect all of humanity...how much are we a part of those sins that were committed in our past that have happened since the Bible? How much are we a part of the torture, and crimes that the Church has done in the name of God? Or how much are we a part of the apathy that has screwed up the world? Would this idea allow us to view the past differently? Would we have acted differently?
So many thoughts and so little time. Have a sweet day, you sweet folk!
late-
sweet t

No comments: